Farmers’ Market Manager
The Aberfoyle Farmers' Market is a community-run, seasonal farmers’ market located in the heart of downtown Aberfoyle. The
market operates out of the Optimist Recreation Centre at the Puslinch Community Centre from the last weekend in May to the last
weekend in October. Available produce is based on the Ontario growing season and is grown within mere kilometres of the market.
Every farmer, crafter, baker or chef that applies to our market is visited by our experienced team of volunteers. Our jurying process
is a way of guaranteeing that the market is truly local!
We are looking for a motivated, technically skilled person with great people skills to join the market family as our Market Manager.
This position will allow you to work from home using our online management systems for an average of up to 8 hours per week
through the off-season (November to April). During the market’s operating season, the manager joins our family of vendors on-site
from 6:30 am until 2pm each Saturday, creating a combined total of up to 16 hours per week during peak period.
Online duties from home include:
- Processing applications received online
- Communicating with potential and returning participants by email and phone
- Assigning stalls and issuing weekly market layouts
- Managing vendor invoicing and receipt of payments
- Generating reports for monthly meetings of the Board of Directors and local health unit
- Assisting with marketing initiatives including sharing social media updates and updating vendor information on our website
Onsite duties include:
- Direct and assist with the set-up of the market from 6:30am to 8am on market day
- Interact with visitors as market ambassador
- Interact with vendors to maintain a friendly market environment
- Conduct visitor surveys and record visitor counts
- Direct and assist with the clean up of the market between 1pm and 2pm on market day
Mentoring and Support: To ensure a smooth transfer of skills and knowledge, experienced market managers will provide training
and support for learning the on-site duties and operations of the market. Our experienced managers are also available to step in to
cover up to 3 market days to accommodate summer vacations or illness.
Scheduling: The market manager is responsible for scheduling their own work times but is expected to be able to manage
communications at least once per day from Tuesdays through Saturdays.
- Understand the market mission, vision and values
- Management experience is beneficial but not mandatory
- Process-minded and able to follow market policies and procedures
- Ability to move picnic tables, sinks, buckets, etc.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and oral) and conflict resolution skills
- The ability to manage and deal well with people (i.e. vendors, buskers, volunteers, customers, facility staff)
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, webmail, Google Drive, WordPress or similar
Application Deadline: September 17, 2021
Please forward your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.